Abbreviated curriculum vitae
Improving Traceability, Legality, and Labor Rights within Seafood Supply Chains · Corporate Social Responsibility · Long-term Improvements within the Global Tuna Trade · Fishery Reform and Supply Chain Improvements in Thailand · Non-profit Management and Collaborations as a Mechanism to Drive Change · Equitable Fishery Development
2019 Thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail
2018 Hiked 2,200 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail
2017-2018 Vice President of Traceability, FishWise
2011-Present Assistant Specialist, Applied Math and Statistics Department, UCSC
2015-2017 Traceability Division Director, FishWise
2012-2014 Project Director, FishWise
2010-2012 Assistant Operations Director, FishWise
2008-2010 Program Manager, FishWise
2008 Teaching Assistant, Population Biology Class, MLML
2007-2009 Research Assistant, Pacific Shark Research Center, MLML
2006 Regulatory Scientist I, Water Resources Department, St. John’s River Water Management District
M.S. (Marine Science) Moss Landing Marine Laboratories (through CSUMB), 2010
B.S. (Marine Biology) Florida Institute of Technology, 2005
Honors and Awards
2017 Seafood Champion Finalist
2016 Top 40 under 40 Seafood Leaders Intrafish List
1. Bird, C.S, A. Veríssimo, S. Magozzi, K.G. Abrantes, A. Aguilar, H. Al-Reasi, A. Barnett, D.M. Bethea, G. Biais, A. Borrell, M. Bouchoucha, M. Boyle, E.J. Brooks, J. Brunnschweiler, P. Bustamante, A. Carlisle, D. Catarino, S. Caut, Y. Cherel, T. Chouvelon, D. Churchill, J. Ciancio, J. Claes, A. Colaço, D.L. Courtney, P. Cresson, R. Daly, L. de Necker, T. Endo, I. Figueiredo, A.J. Frisch, J.H. Hansen, M. Heithaus, N.E. Hussey, J. Iitembu, F. Juanes, M.J. Kinney, J.J. Kiszka, S.A. Klarian, D. Kopp, R. Leaf, Y. Li, A. Lorrain, D.J. Madigan, A. Maljković, L. Malpica-Cruz, P. Matich, M.G. Meekan, F. Ménard, G.M. Menezes, S.E.M. Munroe, M.C. Newman, Y.P. Papastamatiou, H. Pethybridge, J.D. Plumlee, C. Polo-Silva, K. Quaeck-Davies, V. Raoult, J. Reum, Y. Eden Torres-Rojas, D.S. Shiffman, O.N. Shipley, C.W. Speed, M.D. Staudinger, A.K. Teffer, A. Tilley, M. Valls, J.J. Vaudo, T. Wai, R.J. David Wells, A.S J. Wyatt, A. Yool, and C.N. Trueman. 2018. A Global Perspective on the Trophic Geography of Sharks. Nature Ecology and Evolution. 2:299-305. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41559-017-0432-z
2. Kittinger, J. N., L. C. L. Teh, E. H. Allison, N. J. Bennett, L. B. Crowder, E. M. Finkbeiner, C. Hicks, C. G. Scarton, K. Nakamura, Y. Ota, J. Young, A. Alifano, A. Apel, A. Arbib, L. Bishop, M. Boyle, A. M. Cisneros-Montemayor, P. Hunter, E. Le Cornu, M. Levine, R. S. Jones, J. Z. Koehn, M. Marschke, J. G. Mason, F. Micheli, L. McClenachan, C. Opal, J. Peacey, S. H. Peckham, E. Schemmel, V. Solis-Rivera, W. Swartz and T. A. Wilhelm. 2017. Committing to socially responsible seafood. Science. 2:912-913. DOI: 10.1126/science.aam9969.
3. Lewis, S.G. and M. Boyle. 2017. The Expanding Role of Traceability in Seafood: Tools and Key Initiatives. Journal of Food Science. 82 (S1). http://doi: 10.1111/1750-3841.13743.
4. Lewis, S.G., A. Alifano, M. Boyle, and M. Mangel. 2017. Human Rights and the Sustainability of Fisheries in Conservation for the Anthropocene Ocean: Interdisciplinary Science in Support of Nature and People. 1st Edition. Editors: Phillip Levin Melissa Poe. Academic Press.
5. Shiffman, D. S., A.J. Gallagher, M.D. Boyle, C.M. Hammerschlag-Peyer, and N. Hammerschlag. 2012. Stable isotope analysis as a tool for elasmobranch conservation research: a primer for non-specialists. Marine and Freshwater Research. 63:635-643. http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/MF11235.
6. Boyle, M.D., D.A. Ebert, and G.M. Cailliet. 2012. Stable isotope analysis of a deep-sea benthic fish assemblage: evidence of an enriched benthic food web. Environmental Biology of Fishes. 80(5): 1485-1507. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.2012.03243.x.
7. Boyle, M.D. 2010. Trophic relationships of Bathraja trachura and sympatric fishes. M.S. Thesis, CSUMB.
1. FishWise. March 2018. The Links Between IUU Fishing, Human Rights, and Traceability. https://fishwise.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/The-Links-between-IUU-fishing-human-rights-and-traceability.pdf
2. FishWise. February 2018. Advancing Traceability in the Seafood Industry: Assessing Challenges and Opportunities. http://fishwise.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/2018.02.22_Trace-WP_February-2018-Update.pdf
3. FishWise, Future of Fish, IFT GFTC, WWF. November 2017. Recommendations for Addressing Seafood Traceability and Key Data Elements. https://fishwise.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/OSMI-KDE-recommendations-2.pdf
4. FishWise. December 2016. Social Responsibility in the Global Seafood Industry: Background and Resources. https://fishwise.org/human-rights/social-responsibility-global-seafood-industry-background-resources/
5. Bhatt, T., F. Blaha, M. Boyle, B. DiMento, M. Kuruc, H. Matern, P. Olsen, S. Trent. 2014. Recommendations for a Global Framework to Ensure the Legality and Traceability of Wild-Caught Fish Products. http://solutions-network.org/site-legaltraceablefish/files/2014/11/Recommendations-of-Expert-Panel-on-Legal-and-Traceable-Wild-Fish-Products.pdf
6. Ebert, D.A., J.J. Bizzarro, S.C. Brown, M.D. Boyle, and G.M. Cailliet. 2008. Diet and trophic ecology of skates in the Gulf of Alaska (Raja and Bathyraja spp.): ecological information for ecosystem-based management of demersal resources. North Pacific Research Board Final Report.
Selected Speaking Engagements
1. Speaker, What’s Next? A Forum on Sustainable Seafood’s Future Priorities. Seafood Expo North America, 2018
2. Convenor and Speaker, Seafood Alliance for Legality and Traceability, DataLab, 2017
3. Speaker, Is Your Product Against the Law? Insights on Illegality in Supply Chains, Ceres Conference, 2017
4. Speaker, Reducing Risk of IUU in Seafood Supply Chains, Seafood Expo North America, 2017
5. Moderator, Investing in Traceability for Tomorrow, Today, Seafood Expo North America, 2017
6. Speaker, Protecting Labor Rights in Seafood Supply Chains, 9th International Forum on Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated Fishing, Chatham House, 2016
7. Speaker, 2015, Traceability Key Data Elements, MBA Corporate Roundtable, 2015
8. Convenor and Speaker, Traceability Best Practice Workshop, Seafood Summit 2015
9. Convenor and Speaker, Strategy Meetings to Address Human Rights, Traceability and IUU, Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, 2014
10. Guest Lecturer, Environmental Problem Solving, UCSC, 2014
11. Guest Lecturer, Seminar on Marine Conservation, MLML, 2014
1. ‘Human rights, traceability can’t fade from focus’ Seafood Source, 2017. http://www.seafoodsource.com/commentary/human-rights-traceability-can-t-fade-from-focus
2. ‘Mariah Boyle in John Obey’ video produced by Environmental Justice Foundation, 2012. http://vimeo.com/34311366
Other Professional Activities
Moore Foundation’s Ocean and Seafood Markets Initiative Steering Committee, 2016-2018
Seafood Task Force External Stakeholder Advisory Group, 2016-2018
Seafood Traceability Collaboration Participant, 2016-2018
USAID Oceans and Fisheries Partnership ASEAN CDTS Technical Advisory Group, 2016-2018
British Standards Institute Steering Committee, PAS 1550 2016-2017
GFTC Traceability Architecture Technical Advisory, 2015
Participant, Expert Panel on Legal and Traceable Fish Products, convened by WWF, 2013-2015
Friends of Moss Landing Marine Laboratories Scholarship Committee, 2013